Although we enjoy soups year around, yesterday was a must-have soup day. It was 3 degrees at 7 a.m. and only warmed up to 7 degrees later in the day. Neither of us felt the need to go out. Oliver wasn't happy at the prospect either!! I started to look around for soup-like food items and soon realized that I had everything at hand to make this old favorite of ours, right down to the fresh mushrooms which really needed to be used. The recipe came from a friend who had served it at a luncheon years ago. Since then, we've enjoyed it many times. It's not too substantial to serve as a first course at a dinner party, yet it's hardy enough to serve the hungry at supper.
Melange of Wild Mushrooms Soup
1/2 cup of wild rice
2 cups of boiling water
1/4 tsp salt
1. Rinse the wild rice and drain. Place the rice into a pan and add the two cups of boiling water and the salt. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook without stirring for 40 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Keeping the pot covered, remove it from the heat and set aside to cool.
1/2 ounce of dried wild mushrooms
1 cup of boiling water
8 ounces of fresh cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2. Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl and pour the boiling water over. Let stand for 30 minutes. Drain, reserving the liquid. Strain the liquid thorough a fine strainer and set aside.
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery chopped
1/2 cup of dry white wine
3 cups of chicken stock
1/2 cup of heavy cream or half and half
3. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion and celery and saute, stirring from time to time, until they are soft, about 10 minutes. Raise the heat to high and stir in the wine and cook until the wine reduces to about 1/4 of a cup. This will take about 5 minutes.
4. Add all of the mushrooms and saute over medium heat until they are softened, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Raise the heat to high and add the stock and the reserved mushroom liquid and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, 20 minutes more.
6. Add the wild rice and the cream or half and half and simmer for another five minutes.